Saturday, October 19, 2013

A look at society and, maybe, ourselves.

The following is an excerpt from an article that will be published in the Woodsboro Times which will be available in November. My hope is that this portion of the article will speak to you in some way,shape, or form. Although this is not the full article, the portions excluded are basic information about the pastor as this is an introductory article.


Where do we go From Here?
Recently, I had lunch with a parishioner. In our conversation he made this statement, “Pastor, I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes for anything.” It was a profound statement and one that I could chuckle about. However, I have been thinking for some time about what it means to be a pastor in this time in our history.
            It is not easy being a pastor in today’s culture. Everywhere I turn I hear of people fighting; they are fighting about what they believe to be theirs, who has the right to this or that, which political party is the “right” or the “wrong” party. I hear the people who have access to the airwaves pointing fingers and using other groups of people as the product of their anger. We hear of shootings that are senseless and people continue to argue about who is “right” and who is “wrong” while innocent people are dying.
            Much of this fighting has led to people in a state of constant anger. Someone is always angry because they did not get their way and this creates more anger. This constant state of anger is not healthy for us as individuals or collectively as a community, because it keeps us constantly looking for something or someone else to be the focus of our anger and distrust. Part of what happens is that we don’t trust anyone; not our elected officials, not our law enforcement, not our community leaders, and not our neighbors.
            As a pastor in the church of Jesus Christ, I find myself asking the question, “where is grace?” Where is the grace to have a disagreement and put personal views aside? Where is the grace to seek forgiveness from and for one another so that anger does not win the day? We spend so much time worrying about who got something they did or did not deserve that sometimes I don’t think we could see grace if it stared us in the face.
            I want to be clear on the grace that I am talking about. I am talking about God’s grace. It is that grace that was displayed for us by the God who created us, “the earth, sea, and all that is in them.” It is that grace that is given to us despite our brokenness when God calls us to seek forgiveness and know that we are valued and cared for and that is God’s grace.  It is the grace of forgiveness, love, and mercy.
            This grace did not come cheap. It came at the expense of God’s only Son sacrificed on a cross for you and for me. Imagine your only child being sacrificed for many other people. It may be something we cannot even begin to imagine. Yet, God did just that; gave up a Son for all of our sake to know that we are loved and valued. When we live our lives using the thought that “God must forgive me because of Jesus on the cross” then we cheapen God’s grace that has been given to us. Yes, that grace was freely given and offered to us all, not at the expense of a “get out of jail, Free” card.
            When we recognize that God’s Grace was at the cost of Jesus on the cross then we can begin to respond. How do we respond to the grace of forgiveness from God? How do we respond knowing that God saved us from our sin? Does that change how we live our lives and how we treat one another?
Where have all the people gone?
            There is something that concerns many pastors from many denominations. It is the declining numbers in worshipping attendance. There have been studies from numerous groups showing that youth are disengaging from the church. I would suggest that it is not only youth but many people are disengaging and declining to come to church. It is not only in one denomination but is across all denominations.
            As a pastor, I have heard many of the reasons. The reasons range from Sports on Sunday mornings to being bored, just don’t want to get up that early, and the list goes on and on. I have seen “YouTube” videos with titles “Why Jesus hates religion” and that list can go on and on. I am currently reading a book entitled “You Lost Me” by DavidKinnaman. Through all these reasons, videos, and books I hear a three common threads: 1) The current style of worship is outdated, 2) Church is a place of hypocrites who say one thing and do another, and 3) Scripture is outdated and does not speak to me like it should.
            These concerns are not new and they are not old. I have heard many times these concerns from parishioners as well as people who tell me why they don’t go to church. To the first thread of church being outdated, we at Woodsboro Evangelical and Chapel Lutheran Church have been in conversation about our styles of worship. As to the second thread of hypocrites being in attendance, I would answer that and say it is a true statement.
That is part of being a Christian. Not one of us is free from making mistakes in our lives. There has only been one perfect person in this world and that is none other than Jesus Christ. We don’t come to church to puff ourselves up but we come to bring our burdens to the cross. To re-energize our batteries and hear that we are loved and forgiven and that God’s promises are true and everlasting. Sometimes we may make the same mistake twice; it happens
With regard to the thread of scripture being outdated or not speaking to an individual. That, too, is why we gather on Sunday morning; it is to hear the word of God and if it does not speak to us, then begin the conversation about it, talk about it, and live out the Gospel in our actions and not just words. Sunday morning is about re-energizing our batteries to start the week and to remind us that we are part of a larger community who does care for one another and does not point the fingers.
These books, videos, and studies report a wide range of reasons why people do not attend worship. Today, parents, couples, and individuals are so overworked that, sometimes, Sunday is the only day left in the week that is not filled with some type of schedule. As a pastor, I can relate to that. There never seems to be enough hours in the day to stop and just breathe. I have worked in the private sector and understand the requirement to do more with less; to work more hours than you are paid, to take pay cuts and yet produce the same amount.

Remember there is hope. If you do not have a church I invite you to come and worship at either Woodsboro Evangelical Lutheran Church at Woodsboro at our 11 a.m. service or to Chapel Lutheran Church at 11109 Daysville Road at our 9 a.m. service. If you would like to make an appointment to speak with me, I would be happy to talk with you. I can be reached at the Parish Office (number intentionally left out for the purpose of the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment