Saturday, March 22, 2014

Luke 12: 22-34. Change of Cirtcumstances


How many of you remember that Song “don’t worry, be happy” by Bobby McFerrin. Then there is another song out by an artist known as Pharrell Williams? It is a pretty good song and it is all about being happy. People are making their own videos about being happy and they are dancing to this song. I have seen Businesses making videos and even churches making videos using this song. The words to the chorus are; “Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof. Clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth.” Those are some good words aren’t they?
          Today, we talk about change of circumstances. We know those kind of changes; changing jobs, changing school grades, changing teachers, moving to a new neighborhood. All of those are change of circumstances. I don’t know about you but those are not necessarily comforting changes. I think I get more stressed when the circumstances I mentioned a minute ago happen. I start thinking about “what does that mean for me?” is there going to be more work, do I have to change the way I do things, and I surely don’t feel like singing either of the happy songs. In fact, I might sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot…that’s how negative I can get.
          Throughout our readings today there is one theme that I hope you hear. I think it is summed up in the very first verse of the psalm “Bless the Lord, o my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name.” In first Thessalonians, chapter 5, verse 16 “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,” and from our Gospel of Luke “Do not fear little flock, for it is your Father’s pleasure to give you the kingdom.” These three verses give us a different way to think about life.
           Sometimes, I think we get bogged down with the idea of what to worry about and what not to worry about. We worry about what to wear, how to come our hair when to get it cut, what food to eat, car to drive, restaurants, stores, and we listen (sometimes too much) to the advertisements on television that tell us what to wear, eat, how to think and so on and so on. I mean the list can get nauseating to the point where sometimes I would rather just stay home than have to make a decision.
          These readings all tell us about one thing; they tell us who to remember in our daily lives. These readings guide us to the person who gave us all these things. They tell us that all the things we have come from God; Our houses, spouses, children, cars homes, incomes… all of that comes from God. Today we are reminded that it doesn’t matter if you eat from Dutch’s Daughter or from McDonald’s you have been blessed with the gift of food. If you drive a high performance vehicle or a car that gets you down the road, you have been blessed with transportation. Jesus points out in the Gospel that these are the little things in life
        Today, though, we are talking about change in circumstances. Maybe it is not about getting a promotion but it is losing a job, a pay cut, a death in the family, or a diagnosis of an illness. It is a little hard to get that kind of news and sing a happy song or say “Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name.” those are times when that is the least thing we want to say or think. I know it’s hard to think that because I am sure that we have all been there once or twice. Jesus gives us words of comfort in telling us that God knows we need the very basic things to keep us going and Jesus says that God WILL provide.
        Jesus knows that we will worry. He knows that we are human and Jesus, at times, feels that worry because he is fully human. He struggles in the world just as we struggle. We know this because in a few weeks he is in the garden and prays to God struggling with about what is to happen. Jesus struggles with sadness at the death of his friend Lazarus; so, Jesus knows struggle BUT he also tries to provide comfort with a little comedy. “Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?” I bet we all wish we could, but we know that when we spend so much of our time worrying that we can actually SHORTEN our lives. There have been numerous medical studies that say too much worrying leads to ulcers, heart attacks, high blood pressure, and numerous other conditions.
      It does not take away the sting and worry when our change of circumstance is not a positive situation. I do believe that is why God put us here on this earth; to remind us that we are not alone. That God uses us to be there for one another, to help each other out, to give a helping hand when someone needs food or shelter or clothing.
            See Jesus was also, fully divine. Jesus is the Son of God and his circumstances changed within three years. Within three years of his ministry beginning he found his circumstances quite differ ent than what he might have expected. It is one thing to say something is going to happen. It is another to realize that it is really happening. Yet, through his change of circumstances he held onto the promise of God and the love of God; to the point where he commended his soul to almighty God glorifying God with all that was within him, Jesus, through his crucifixion, death, and resurrection.
           So when we have good times, let us always bless the Lord with all that is within us and may we always bless his holy name AND through struggles let us bless God who gives us friends, family, and strangers who helps us out and who we help because we are able and not because we ought. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment