Saturday, March 7, 2015

Exodus 20: 1-17 The Third Covenant for Lent, The Ten Commandments

            So it is the third week and we have our third covenant. This one is a little different than the others. The first one was God making a blanket promise with Noah. The second requires a little more action with Abraham; and now, we have this thing that doesn’t sound much like a covenant, does it? It’s the Ten Commandments. God is giving Moses the law. How does that sound like a covenant?
            Well, let’s break this one down. What is this law that is being given? What do we know about the law? Traditionally, we know that laws tell you what you cannot do. They are restrictive and place boundaries on us. They help define what it means to be a good person or a bad person. If you live by the law, you are a good abiding citizen. If you break the law you are a criminal, a bad person, and most times marked for life. There are consequences to breaking the law and we, as a society, expect law breakers to take responsibilities for our actions, right?
            So God is giving us these laws. In a world that is sitting in conflict today, when we hear the word law, if your anything like me, the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, you might be thinking “great what next?!” I get tired of hearing about laws, what I can and can’t do. It gets exhausting and sometime, I know that I just want to tune out; because we have heard this before. We know the story and we have seen Charleton Heston as Moses.
            But there is another way to look at this. While we know the story and it is something to be cherished. But think about this covenant as a gift; think of it as not a way of restricting behavior but think of it as a way of being freeing. I am not going to go over every commandment, but I am going to group them in a way that might make Martin Luther proud, I hope. We can break these Ten Commandments into two basic groupings. The first group of Commandments are 1-3, are all about God. You shall have no other Gods, don’t take the Lord’s name in vain, and keep the Sabbath holy.
            Just on those first three, here is an idea about this gift. “thank goodness” that I don’t have to worship all these other Gods. From a lazy standpoint (just ask my wife) I don’t want to worship a God of Sun, rain, snow, peace, sadness…that can get exhausting. Another thought is “why would I want to worship all those Gods when I can worship the ONE GOD who created all of this. I want to worship the God who created the Garden of Eden, made the promise to Noah and his family, and who promised not to use floods to destroy the earth.
            On the other commandments, two and three, I would say the same thing. Why would I want to take the Lord’s name in vain? Do I really want to ask the Lord to curse something? Am I really gonna ask God to condemn something or someone? Frankly, I believe God is all that powerful to create so I better be careful what I ask for. It means that we all need to choose our words a little carefully. It also means that God can do all these things so why not keep the Sabbath day Holy. Why not respect God who created community, participate in the community that God created and honor that time together.
            Commandments 4-10 are a little more difficult. They are the commandments about how we treat each other. That can be a little more difficult because we are human. We make mistakes, we say and do things out of frustration, anger, and sometimes just down-right selfishness. We do things that we want to do, sometimes, without a thought about who it may or may not affect. There are a wide variety of reasons and circumstances that may cause us to do something; may cause us to covet, steal, bear false witness, and maybe even kill. I don’t pretend to know or excuse these actions. My point is that sometimes we don’t live up to these commandments about how we treat each other.
            No matter what, these actions do have consequences in our society. There is our own sense of guilt, there are penalties in our civilization, and yes there are penalties in God’s eyes. But I think that we can see these commandments as gifts as well. We know and hold to be true that God created man and woman. We are gifts from God in God’s creation and so these commandments are not to say you cant…but maybe we can think of ourselves and each other as God’s creation. That means that we are ALL more important to each other. It means that the God who created me, also created you and that means that you are just as valuable in God’s eyes and, therefore, my eyes.
            Sometimes that is really difficult. Sometimes there are those people who test your last nerve OR you may test theirs. This does not mean we don’t try to treat each other as if we are all gifts. It means that we can try and continue trying to treat each other as valuable gifts that God created to be on this earth and to be in community with one another.
            This month, our special offering is going to the St. Dysmus ministries which is known as the “prison ministry” within the synod. Pastor Gerry Rickell visits the prison and there are church leaders who go to the various prisons in the state and hold worship services, who remind the people who are paying their debts to society that they are worthy of God’s love and that God has not given up on them. There are many unique stories of people whose lives were changed because God sent people into those prisons to spend time with these people; stories of people who have maintained their good standing and found support in changing their lives because God entered their lives and refused to leave, through the interactions of others.

            Brothers and sisters, I am sure there are times when we have broken, at least, one of God’s commandments. We have all made mistakes in our lives. Not one of us can say we have never made a mistake and we will continue to make mistakes. But God does not abandon us when we make those mistakes. God sent Jesus into the world for our sake…for our mistakes and to teach us that everyone is redeemable and valuable. Through the crucifixion of Jesus on the cross our sins, God has brought us to the reality that we live in a sinful world, we make mistakes, yet we are forgiveable…because of our contrite hear and wanting to know that God DOES love us…always has; and is always there for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment