Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Trip to Atlanta

This is the first time that I am posting my blog outside of my preaching and technology class.
  Recently I took a trip to Atlanta. It was part of my multicultural class. Even though it was an elective, it was an awesome, powerful, and emotional trip. We drove through the horrible ice to get there and it was worth it!
  We went to the Martin Luther King Jr. center. As I walked through the museum, I heard words that made me take a look at myself. They were words that I may have heard growing up. They were words that I have heard others say and I wanted to CRY! These were not words of love but words that helped expose bigotry and hatred toward someone different from me and others.
   I saw the infamous "bull" connor in Birmingham using the "N" word. I watched and heard his strategies for not letting "those people" win. " We are not going to let that happen here," he said. Others were burning crosses. Listening to a parent screaming at an African-American child! It was so hard to hear. Many things were revealed to me.
  Then we went to Birmingham. The 16th Street Baptist Church was an incredible visit. 4 little girls in the girls bathroom; all I can picture is their innocent faces gone because of a racist who placed a bomb under a stair well: SHOCKING! DISGUSTING! This coward did this dispicable thing. He didn't have enough guts to admit it. He hid! Then we saw the film and the park where dogs and firehoses are turned on children protesters. The local government did this! The bomber was brought to justice almost 40 years later, that right 40 years! I could only ask: "how do you do this? How do you live with the injustice for 40 years?" The response was that we lived with it for over 100 so what is another 40. Reality set in.
  Then I started hearing words of hope. Dr. Kings speeches were words of comfort that things will change. He saw their struggle as "when you have done it to the least of these, you did this to me (Gospel of Matthew)." That was powerful. The I also heard the words of Dr. Warnock at Ebenezer Baptist Church. His words were powerful. Dreams are important and hang on to them. "Sometimes you feel so low, you don't want to get up. You may have had a bad week last week but you're alive today! So stand up!" There were more words that got to me and he (along with Dr. King) helped me to understand that I NEED TO STAND UP!
 If you wish to comment, by all means. This site is ramblings and all are invited to respectful conversation.
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment