I am finding that the most helpful are Stoffregen in that his writings help me look at the technical aspects of the scripture (http://www.crossmarks.com/brian/matt4x12.htm). He helps me to look at some key words and uses some very good phrases. Another good thing is that he has several ideas packed into the particular text. The down side is that he sometimes repeats his statements by saying "refer to last weeks post." That can get a little discouraging.
Another site that I find helpful is workingpreacher.org (http://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?lect_date=1/27/2008&tab=4). Audrey West is helpful in her look at this scripture in saying that Jesus calls us to be who we are. Jesus does not ask those to follow who have the right look, lifestyle, or money. West is more "down to earth in her take on the scripture." that helps me get another idea as to what or how to preach the text.
I have found another site (http://gotell.org/pages/stories/Matthew/Mt04_12-23.html). This site is an audio telling of the commentary. I am finding this style of commentary okay. To Boomershine is the speaker and he illustrates several themes within the text. He uses the two call stories to relate it to Elijah and Elisha. He is relating the sign of the kingdom being near is the sign of Jesus healing and curing. He then plays preaching and teaching as the last two that show the Kingdom of Heaven is near. I found myself still wondering what to preach about after listening to this. The audio was not helpful and the written commentary is not thorough at all.
Another site that I found not to be too helpful was John Wesley's notes on the bible (http://www.ccel.org/ccel/wesley/notes.i.ii.vi.html). This was difficult to read without becoming a member because there are too many cross references to other books of the bible. It confused me.
No comments:
Post a Comment